Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Amy's CockamAmy

Cathy here (on Amy's computer).

Since Amy got out of surgery yesterday, her usual amusing sense of humor has been greatly enhanced by her pain meds, and she has been hysterically funny. She had me rolling on the floor last night --I thought they might kick me out of the Recovery Room.  Below is a sample of some of the "gems" she has spoken to either David or me; hopefully they'll be even a little funny to you all (meaning I hope they're not all "guess you had to be there" pieces of humor). 

1. One of the first things Amy said to David when he went into see her in the Recovery Room last night was: "I caught a fish for you!"

2. "I don't know where my face cream is but I know where my emails are!"  Don't recall the context (was there one?) but it was quite amusing.

3. "Find me a listserv!"  (Some background: Amy is envious of me because I am on so many electronic listservs. She thinks it's a unique northern California phenomenon. Personally, I don't think it's so wonderful, as they mainly clog up my email inbox.)

4. "The phone keeps ringing and it's never for me! It's all about me." (Said in the busy Recovery Room with phones ringing and subsequently overhearing lots of conversations.)

5. Said under the same conditions as #4: "I can hear very well. Its enhanced my hearing to have my boobs out of the way."

6. When told that I was emailing Jessica updates about Amy's surgery when she was flying back to NY yesterday: "Jessica can have Internet access 38,000 ft up in the air and I can't get it at Marquez!" (Marquez is the school she worked at for years in the Palisades--and still works there one day a week.)

7. When waiting to be moved from the Recovery Room to her room (which of course was ready to happen right when the the nurses' shift change began): "What kind of hotel is this?  Isn't check-in normally at 4pm?"

8. Said to Dr. Slate, her beloved plastic surgeon: "I don't let anyone boss me around except you--not even my husband or my sister."

9. Followed by: "You are my new best friend; I love you."

10. Said to me when I told her she must exercise her lungs using the plastic inhalation tool: "You're mean. You're like Nurse Ratchet.  I want a nice nurse!"

11. Said to David today when describing her great room, a.k.a. the "Elizabeth Taylor Suite": "Katie Perkins told me that it's South Central LA outside one window and Century City out the other." (Only issue with this is that Amy's friend Katie is at home in Portland right now.)

12. Amy asked her wonderful nurse Edwin if there have been any stars who have stayed in her room.  He said "yes".  She said "who?" He said "I can't tell you."  Amy persisted. He then joked (since they had just bonded around both being Mac lovers) that if she gave him her new sleek Mac laptop, maybe he'd tell her.  Amy said: "I don't want to know that badly." (And, just for the record, in case there are any Cedars spies reading this blog, Edwin did his job!  He was great!  There was no way he was going to betray his patients' confidentiality...I promise.)

There you have it.  Hope this has been at least somewhat entertaining. If we're lucky, there will be more gems to come. No--actually, we're hoping for a lot less pain and a speedy disappearance of all pain meds!  

Love to you all. Your love and support is carrying Amy through this challenging time.
Cathy




13 comments:

  1. L*M*A*O !!!....so friggin funny!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amused!
    Thanks for the chuckles! All us Raychesters are wishing you, Amy a very speedy, soon to be painfree recovery. Sent to you NOT from Marquez because the internet/reception is still a problem and if you don't have time to walk down the street, turn left and go north, its true, you won't get reception! Teddy sends you his best and speedy recovery and Lily sends all her love! And me, good, good, good, good vibrations! Love you!
    Susan
    ps What is a listserv?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comic relief! That was priceless. Mike and I have tears rolling down our faces we're laughing so hard. But, hey, we're with Susan - what's a listserv? Lovin' you all - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the updates and funny outtakes. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery and continued humor.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all the Amyisms. They are not all "guess you had to be there", but they sure do make me feel as if I am there with you all. Sending lots of love to all of you. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My personal favorite is #5. And I know what a listserv is. I love you, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all love Dr. Slate! Bravo! And thanks for all the funnies and the great news.

    Fortitude and blessings to Amy and all of her wonderful family and supportive friends.

    Haven't a clue what a listserve is. And what is the painkiller that is 4 times stronger than Morphine???! Yaozaa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't you know, an entire website on the topic. For a short lesson on listserves, visit..... http://www.listserve.com/

    Thank you Google, because I too, I did not know what the heck a listserve was/is/will be.

    Don't be ashamed of me Amy.

    In the meantime, since the doc wouldn't cough it up, so let's make up some stories about who stayed in your room....

    It's the Liz Taylor suite because when she choked on some Chaison's Chili, she was rushed to Cedars to have the bean jimmmied out. She got a sweet suite because she's Liz.

    That's just what I heard.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I heard Liz Taylor stayed in that suite and closed off the entire floor for her 'butt-cheek' implants! whatEVER

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun comments. I hope the pain subsides but in the meantime enjoy the fun with the high potency pain medication and the fun things that you say as a result. Mary made you the cutest card which a circle of girlfriends signed. I hope I love my plastic surgeon as much as you love yours) Off to get the nose done. I'll look up listserv later
    XXOONancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't Richard Gere have something removed from regions near to where Liz Taylor is rumored to have had her implants? Maybe he was in that room... So glad to hear that your humor is back, Amy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey amy,
    glad to hear you are doing well not to mention ready to take your show on the road!
    peace,
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. too too funny!
    thanks for the amy updates!

    ReplyDelete