Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Too MUch Information


Today I went to Cedars to have a chemo port put in my arm.  This is a picture of it.  They threaded the blue line through one of my main arteries starting from my upper arm then across my chest.  They followed the progress on a screen.  Once the line was in place the chemo port was attached at the end of the line - under my skin.  They numbed the area and so all I really felt was pressure and some serious discomfort with the position of my arm.  Why did I do all this?  Because now each time I go for chemo they will inject the chemo drugs through the port .  The major drag was that we had to wait TWO HOURS before they did anything. This did not make me happy.

Next I went for my echocardiogram appointment but right when we got to the office we found out that the machine was broken.  So they've rescheduled me to go some place else tomorrow.

The last part of the day was at the oncologist's office for the Chemo 101 class.  Turned out to be a private class with a really nice nurse.  She explained all the crappy stuff I have to look forward to with chemotherapy.  It was way too much of a reality check and i was pretty upset for awhile.  But.... now I'm smiling again!  How can that be you ask? Two words:  Fleet Enema followed by two homemade chocolate chip cookies (thank you Shelly!).  We must always keep some sense of humor to dry the tears.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa Amy ~ that is a week's worth of stuff - none of which sounds fun. Well, maybe the chocolate chip cookies. I am glad that you are smiling again. Keep it up! xoxoxoxo Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so unbelieveable and such an inspiration to us all. That smile never fades! I have no doubt that's what will pull you through this with flying colors. Keep on keepin' on my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, you are a very brave soul. I think of you everyday and check the blog constantly. I am here to help. xoxo l

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! and I love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amos, you are truly amazing. All the Rosenberg's send their love and support, Ellen, Julia, Lauren and Woody (9 mo old black lab). Your strength and focus is unbelievable. We love you. xoxoxoxoxoxo Douglas

    ReplyDelete